2.68 reduction and 350 sbc

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Kbrewer
Southern Airboat Member

2.68 reduction and 350 sbc

Post by Kbrewer »

I have a 14 foot combee, I’m building a sbc 350 nothing special, I haven’t done much research but I jumped the gun and just bought a brand new rotator 2.68, what is the best prop combo for this low rpm engine, how screwed am I with this 2.68
14 foot combee rotator 2.68
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: 2.68 reduction and 350 sbc

Post by digginfool »

I wouldn't say you're screwed. May not have been the best choice but you will be able to turn a lot of prop with that gearing. I will say this, though. When it comes to prop questions, you can't beat the wealth of knowledge Patty at Whirlwind and Darrin at Sensenich have. I highly recommend calling and talking to both of them before slapping down any money. Tell them what you have, what you plan to do with the engine and what your needs are. It's fairly important to know max hp, max torque and where they are made when choosing a prop, especially when you already have the gearbox. If you're staying completely stock, it should be fairly simple to look up the engine specs from the vehicle it came from. If you're putting a cam in it, the manufacturer should have some sort of guidance. All is not lost. Just plan carefully from here.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: 2.68 reduction and 350 sbc

Post by Slidin Gator »

Kbrewer wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:21 am
I’m building a sbc 350 nothing special, I haven’t done much research but I jumped the gun and just bought a brand new rotator 2.68
Kbrewer wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:21 am
what is the best prop combo for this low rpm engine, how screwed am I with this 2.68
A SBC 350 is far from a "low rpm engine", it's more like the opposite, a "low Hp engine" until it turns some RPM. If the engine has been modified for direct drive operation, then there may be some unmoding to do. Otherwise, you are looking to turn some big prop and just need to pour in a few more bags of money. :banghead:
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Return to “Airboat Talk”