whats the safest way to welf aluminum fuel tank?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

whats the safest way to welf aluminum fuel tank?

Postby Hog Guts » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:26 pm

still smells like gas in there but we siphoned all we could get out. 80 gal tank maybe three sections two baffles. was leaking fuel slowly through a few corrosion spots on bottom. fill it with water? hook to truck exhaust? or what? i have seen guys weld aluminum tank before with a little fuel in there that are career welders but i backed up and im still a pansy when it comes to welding fuel tank with gas fumes coming out still... whats the best way to tackle this chore?

jchovernut
Southern Airboat Member

Re: whats the safest way to welf aluminum fuel tank?

Postby jchovernut » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:38 am

It takes very little fuel for the vapors to be explosive!! Are you able to remove the tank? I'd suggest some sort of detergent wash, & dry.
If in-situ, then try to suck out as much fuel as possible with a tygon hose & purge the crap out of the tank with air supplied by hose deep into the tank. A vigorous purge or Nitrogen inerting during the weld would be good measure. I base this off what I've seen shipyard welders do when I was in the Navy, & the "Confined Space" certification authority I held at the time.

Good luck!!
SEVTEC Hovers: Prospector, Fan-Tastic, Vanguard; Weber Starcruiser SC4
http://www.hovernut.com
http://www.amphibiousmarine.com
http://www.sevteckits.com
Fan-Tastic! http://youtu.be/lwuosBSJw9Y
Great Alaska Hovercraft Adventure! http://youtu.be/tuPR8LCb7pY

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:36 am

If you smell vapors, you are risking your life. A mechanic that used to work for me nearly killed himself welding on a 110 gallon Diesel fuel tank that had a small split in it from an unsecured tool rolling into it in the back of a pickup truck. He washed the tank with soap and water, sprayed it out thoroughly then touched the Mig gun to the hole. The explosion blew ceiling tiles out of my office and shook the entire 18,000 sq ft building. When I ran out to the shop, he was standing there with seared skin dripping from his arms and back. The sad thing was, we had a cylinder of Argon that he could have purged the tank with but he thought that since it was just a little smell, he would be safe. Dude, I'm telling you, if you don't know what you're doing, don't mess with it. Take the tank to someone who knows. Not worth dying over a hundred bucks or so.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Shippee123 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:57 am

X2 !!
Saw a deisel tank go through the roof of shop I worked at . Purged and was using exhaust , wasn't a strong enough concentration I guess . Not worth it !
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 am

If you have time, you can leave the tank open for a week or so and let it evaporate. Definitely wouldn't weld it if you can smell gas

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:22 am

Some years ago, Sept 2009, we got a rescue call to an old gas station where the fuel tanks had been taken out and were sitting on the ground. The tanks had been out of use and empty for years, more than a decade. This guy/patient was cutting the end open with a sawzall and had made most of the cut....and the tank exploded. He had made a few cuts to the tanks already. It ripped his left leg completely off and shook the neighborhood. The trauma was so severe we couldn't save him. I posted a few pics in the gallery without the gory mess.
Take it to a professional welder who has knowledge and experience working on fuel tanks previously in service. There is a safe process to do this.
Attachments
IMG_0163.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg
IMG_0164.jpg
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:36 am

When I was young and invincible I welded a few gas tanks with good results. I won't say how I did it because I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone getting blown up.
You can ask Gerald, (newoldglory), how well filling it with water works if you are looking for excitement, I'll bet he will tell you not to try it!

Is the corrosion on the outside or the inside? If they are small places on the outside it can be repaired with epoxy. If you cannot see the inside, the damage may likely
be more extensive than you think so when you repair one spot another may show up in a few months. Better to invest in a new tank!

Remember "AIRBOAT" , (ANYTIME IT RUNS, BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND) :(

:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:50 am

Reminds me of a story I heard one time about a dog crossing a railroad track. A train was coming and he thought he had time to make it across, after all he had done it many times and never had a problem. Well he wasn't as fast as he once was and almost made it but the train cut off the end of his tail. He didn't want to lose it so he instinctively turned around to grab it and the train cut off his head. Can you see the moral of the story? :rebel: :florida: :old_glory:

moral-- :slap: (Don't lose your head over a little piece of tail!) :violent1:

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:00 am

radtech wrote:If you have time, you can leave the tank open for a week or so and let it evaporate. Definitely wouldn't weld it if you can smell gas

Here you go, I think radtech just volunteered to weld it for you! :lol:

radtech, Read my last post. :toothy7:

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Afflicted » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:21 am

I wouldn't weld a GAS tank. I've reluctantly welded a few diesel tanks from log trucks but they wer washed out the purged purged purged with argon

12PSI
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby 12PSI » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:31 am

You have a 80 gallon fuel tank in your boat?

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:09 am

I am curious about the 'water incident'. Let's first presume a properly cleaned, vented and dried tank. Beyond that . . .

Obviously, you wouldn't want to fill it 90% full and then weld on the top of it after concentrating any remaining contents at the top of the tank. But, I have seen this approach employed when welding below the water line so to speak, and it looked (to this casual observer) to be a reasonable tactic in that circumstance.

I am curious about this though, as I would readily share this information if/when I see someone fixin' to do this since that would be more sporting than simply helping to clean up the mess.

So come on Gerald, give us the Skinny about the water fill gone bad. Mr. Pockets put the ball in your court. :D
Last edited by Deano on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:43 am

I have welded a few tanks by washing out good then tape off openings, then run an argon line in the tank while welding. But if you are asking for the safest way then take it to an expert. :thumbleft: :rebel:

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:48 am

80 gallons? I would start with 2.5 gallons of degreaser of choice. Slosh this around the whole tank in every way possible, then hit it with the water hose with high pressure to suds it up good till full. Drain it off, rinse and repeat same steps again. Take a shop vac to it with other vents and ports open and draw as much moisture out as possible.
Once dried out, sniff test works for me, no fuel odors, weld away. Done this multiple times.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Afflicted » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:01 am

Idk if it makes much difference but argon is heavier than air and the few tanks I welded, I put the argon hose in at the bottom so it would "push" the air out the top

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CactusJack » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:53 am

What a bunch of sooks.... I thought you yanks were tuff? :stirpot: the tank will have to come out of the boat to get at the bottom of it, so get what you can out of it by tipping it out thru the filler and line pipes until you cant hear any left, then leave it open for a few days.... then blow it out with compressed air or a shop vac that can blow air.....then sniff.... when you can hardly smell any gas, if you have argon or C02/argon... or truck exhaust... purge what is left for a few minutes... then with a barbeque lighter (long flexi lighter) or oxy acetylene flame.... wave it around the hole.... it is no more likely to go bang than if you lit a fag in the thunderbox! (a cigarette in the toilet) :lol: .... I have welded 44 gal drums that have stored avgas like that.... I have even retired old drums that wont be holding gas any more and just waved the torch over the open bigger hole and watched the light show.... it is very entertaining at night....

gas needs the right mixture to 'blow up' that being 13 or 15 to one ratio... if it aint at that ratio, it wont burn.... if you have the tiniest last fumes in it after purging... waving the oxy near the opening will make sure it wont go pop and make you mess in your pants whilst welding it :lol:

Anyway, why weld? Why not get some of that liquid gas tank repair liner stuff? It comes as a kit, it coats the inside of the tank.... the price on my pic is Aussie $, so in the US it would be heaps cheaper....

You have to be sensible... but it is when people take no precautions and still have alot of gas left in the tank.... they have issues... go get a soda can and put a little gas in it, then light it with a long lighter.... it goes woof, then burns like a candle until the gas runs out.... it is the 'woof' you don't want to get caught in... so when you have aired and ventilated it... purged it.... put a flame near the opening and make it go woof in your terms... I bet you it wont if you think about what you are doing.... :wink: :D
Attachments
tank repair.jpg
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:33 pm

I can see Australia has red necks too! "HERE MATE, HOLD ME BEER AND WATCH THIS" :drunken: :stirpot:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:34 pm

when my new gastank leaked, i brought it back to the welder.
i figured he's either fix it or blow up.

he fixed it. didn't blow up.

timmmyy
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby timmmyy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:58 pm

Im a welder and i will tell you how to fix your tank problem ,buy a new one its not worth you getting seriously hurt or killed .I have fix them before and there is alot of prep work involved before welding . The last one i did i charge the guy $200.00 ang 6 months later it was leaking somewhere else . He bought a new one thank god
Olways on the furst date

Arcticshooter
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Arcticshooter » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:03 pm

The Aussie's comment about the tank sealer is a good option.
Tanks can be welded, but even I have seen the 3rd degree scars from a gent that tried to blow himself up this way.
Now, I am an experienced welder and I would use a Hotsy to clean the tank and use an Argon purge with a small opening left to bleed out the argon and the rest of the tank taped tight around that Argon hose.
Lots of welding shops won't even take the risk of welding on your tank.
I would pick up a kit from the guys that make POR-15, the rusty frame paint. They make an excellent kit to clean, etch and seal your fuel tank. I think the kit I bought was just over $100 and it's enough to do our 95gal aluminum tank and my motorcycle tank.
On another note, the use of exhaust fumes is a very faulty option. No guarantee that you aren't adding unburnt fuel and oxygen into the already present fuel vapors. Purging gasses should be "ONLY" inert gasses such as Argon, Nitrogen, Helium, CO2.
I'm not saying that people haven't survived some of the more "hold my beer" options over the years, but that sure isn't a horse that I am going to bet on!
Good luck, take the safe route and get a sealer kit...ZERO RISK!!

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CactusJack » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:29 pm

skinnypockets wrote:I can see Australia has red necks too! "HERE MATE, HOLD ME BEER AND WATCH THIS" :drunken: :stirpot:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Too right Skinny.... :lol: Git 'er done mate.... She'll be right.... then we can crack a couple of tinnies and chuck some shrimps on the barby....

As long as we don't but a plugger...no worries mate :wink:

I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Afflicted » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:14 pm

^^^^ hahaha that was a pretty funny interview catusjack

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Sorry if I mislead you, I just re-read your post and I have no idea how to "welf" a gas tank. :lol: :P :rebel:

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:14 pm

Scarecrow wrote:Sorry if I mislead you, I just re-read your post and I have no idea how to "welf" a gas tank. :lol: :P :rebel:

:violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Ol Yeller » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:06 pm

The way I would do it is to wash it out with soap the best I can. Then take a 20' pvc pipe with a lit rag soaked in lighter fluid, and put that fire in the hole. Let that fire find what ever fuel vapor is remaining and then you're good to go. You could also use a long rope and tree branch to lower fire into the tank if you want to be further away.

Return to “Airboat Tech”