Total Chaos used boat purchase info wanted

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Total Chaos used boat purchase info wanted

Postby stonny9 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:50 am

Friend just bought an aluminum hull 2005 sold as a continental gpu 150 hp dual mag. Boat name Total chaos.

I don't know aircraft motors was only turning 1800 rpm when purchased on 2 yr old av gas when owner said it turned 2300. New av gas still the the same. Found rear right to be low compression upon finger test.

Look to see if it has has any motor work.
Old owner said he only knew it was dual mag. He hasn't heard back from original owner who he bought it from 8 yrs ago.
https://goo.gl/photos/75AFVwJy4fHrkFEi6

https://goo.gl/photos/1djUkTesuAkca8YS6

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Total Chaos used boat purchase info wanted

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:06 am

stonny9 wrote:Friend just bought an aluminum hull 2005 sold as a continental gpu 150 hp dual mag. Boat name Total chaos.

I don't know aircraft motors was only turning 1800 rpm when purchased on 2 yr old av gas when owner said it turned 2300. New av gas still the the same. Found rear right to be low compression upon finger test.

Look to see if it has has any motor work.
Old owner said he only knew it was dual mag. He hasn't heard back from original owner who he bought it from 8 yrs ago.
https://goo.gl/photos/75AFVwJy4fHrkFEi6

https://goo.gl/photos/1djUkTesuAkca8YS6

Sounds like the start of a small mess see this a lot after someone buys a boat. Where are you located? Post a picture.

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Postby stonny9 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:41 am

jeepinocala1111 wrote:Sounds like the start of a small mess see this a lot after someone buys a boat. Where are you located? Post a picture.

Click on links at bottom of first post for pic of boat and motor. In Hollywood, Fl. I feel like it was a good deal. A few years ago my bro was looking for this exact boat and could never find one that wasnt already sold. We were betting on bad 2 yr old av gas or messed up carb. Once we felt low compression we decided to ride for a day to see if it got better after letting cyl soak overnight with a cleaner incase ring was stuck. Carb looks like a one barrel with home made adapter/plate. Didnt see any labeling on it. Used/blew out through vent tube about 1.5 qts yesterday.

Also looking to install an air/oil separator with drain back into pan.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:01 am

posting the photos! nice looking rig - hope you get it running!! :thumbleft:

" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:51 am

Look like a good motor to put some big heads on. You could always borrow a scope and look inside the cylinders to see just what you have.

grey owl
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby grey owl » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:07 pm

no info on boat owner but a leak down or even compression test wouldn't hurt. if it's reasonable compression and has been sitting for a few years you might want to take off the carb and clean it up (bowl and jet).
just my 2 cents.

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby dblj006 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:32 pm

That is a cool looking boat. With amount of oil blow by probably a safe bet you have a bad cylinder. This tool will tell you what you need to know. There are good places to purchase cylinders, pistons, rings. Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235 has a very good reputation.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/cylpresse2a.php?clickkey=1911534
Broke.

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:13 pm

that looks like a fairly stock Pe-90 , you can do a search to find plenty of reading on the pe-90 lots of upgrades possible. They make dang good motors

while the carb is one thing that could use to be upgraded, it sounds like you have a dead cylinder , use a leak down tester but most likely you will need to make some repairs........... personally I wouldn't "ride it around to see if it gets better" that could get very expensive

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Postby stonny9 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:01 pm

Thanks for the info so far. I am leaning towards it is stock besides the dual mag. Maybe one was found already with them. Gonna do leakdown and true compression test when owner gets time. Cant really ride for the next 3 weeks anyways. Also owner would like to change over the hand steering. Which would be super easy as it was made with the shielded cable instead of wires and pulleys.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:16 am

Not a clear picture but it looks like it has cable steering already.

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Postby stonny9 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:48 am

Gary S wrote:Not a clear picture but it looks like it has cable steering already.

Yes it does. Will be pretty simple to swap over.

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Postby stonny9 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:06 am

Update. A friend came by and said he has the same motor but single mag. We took the low cyl off and one ring was broke in half and one of the valve seats was halfway out and hit the piston. Broken ring gouged the cyl wall making it wall art. Piston is .015 over. Couldnt get one rocker out as it looks like the inner copper sleeve slid over a few hairs. Ordered all the parts yesterday.

Friend said someone installed an allen bolt to hold the rod for the rockers. He didnt like it as it could mess up the copper bushings when removing rod. Same principal as a keyway.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:54 pm

stonny9 wrote:Update. A friend came by and said he has the same motor but single mag. We took the low cyl off and one ring was broke in half and one of the valve seats was halfway out and hit the piston. Broken ring gouged the cyl wall making it wall art. Piston is .015 over. Couldnt get one rocker out as it looks like the inner copper sleeve slid over a few hairs. Ordered all the parts yesterday.

Friend said someone installed an allen bolt to hold the rod for the rockers. He didnt like it as it could mess up the copper bushings when removing rod. Same principal as a keyway.

Check the crank lobe I just saw a crank that was compressed .013" from a piston hitting a valve it was a stock never cut crank.

dshaw94
Southern Airboat Member

Postby dshaw94 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:40 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
stonny9 wrote:Update. A friend came by and said he has the same motor but single mag. We took the low cyl off and one ring was broke in half and one of the valve seats was halfway out and hit the piston. Broken ring gouged the cyl wall making it wall art. Piston is .015 over. Couldnt get one rocker out as it looks like the inner copper sleeve slid over a few hairs. Ordered all the parts yesterday.

Check the crank lobe I just saw a crank that was compressed .013" from a piston hitting a valve it was a stock never cut crank.

You saw a crank damaged from a piston hitting a valve?!?! You're saying the the rod journal was .013 under from the impact of the piston hitting the valve?!?!? Are you serious?
We all got it coming, kid. (William Money)

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:49 pm

dshaw94 wrote:
jeepinocala1111 wrote:

You saw a crank damaged from a piston hitting a valve?!?! You're saying the the rod journal was .013 under from the impact of the piston hitting the valve?!?!? Are you serious?

Would you like a picture? It may show the impact area. The valve seats came out held the piston back the crank still rotated and compressed the crank face I would have never believed it myself stock crank never cut. Sell you the crank if you want.

Rich863
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rich863 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:42 pm

How much
:old_glory: :florida:

Rich863
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rich863 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:44 pm

How much

Rich863
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rich863 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:53 pm

How much

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:04 am

Rich863 wrote:How much

It's a 220 gpu crank 100 bucks it's yours.

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Postby stonny9 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:30 pm

op update: 1 new cylinder and piston .015 over. Boat still turns 1900 rpm on skinny water. GPS top speed log after running 7 miles said 42mph . 150psi in all cylinders. Prop measured 66" and water walker said it should be cypress series and turning 2750. Looks like factory pitch and widest was 10".

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Postby lorick » Thu May 05, 2016 9:41 pm

What pitch is prop set at?

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Postby stonny9 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:32 pm

lorick wrote:What pitch is prop set at?

I don't know much about props. On both props there was a white mark on the prop shank in the center of the hub gap. At the end of the white mark was a little nub/bump. It was the same on both props. WW said it was factory pitch.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Fri May 06, 2016 4:59 am

stonny9 wrote:op update: 1 new cylinder and piston .015 over. Boat still turns 1900 rpm on skinny water. GPS top speed log after running 7 miles said 42mph . 150psi in all cylinders. Prop measured 66" and water walker said it should be cypress series and turning 2750. Looks like factory pitch and widest was 10".

42 mph turning only 1900 WOT is not right. Can you verify your tach?
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Postby stonny9 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:27 am

kwanjangnihm wrote:
42 mph turning only 1900 WOT is not right. Can you verify your tach?

I didnt think of that. We are riding tomorrow, south side of The Alley. I will check gps as we are cruising as before I had it in storage and checked when stopped. Tach seems to work fine but I will ask around for a portable one. My voltage meter can do it when on the trailer. Says motor idles at 300-400(lost the exact # in my head) rpm and it sure sounds that low.

I will recheck and report back.

Also oil temp max is 150 even on a run of 7 miles at 95% full throttle.

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Postby stonny9 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:05 am

Probably final update. GPS speed of 42 max is accurate. I took out some pitch from prop and installed 8 new plugs. Motor got up to 2175 a few times. Ran it for May Day's yesterday. 2 coolers and 2 guys. Went from Alley all the way north to base of Holey Lands Levee. Reason so far is bro was there and thought it was too dry for us. Did fine just never stopped in the mud as we didnt want to make ourselves push unnecessarily.

I am just gonna assume tach is accurate as we have no way to test for now. Only thing to change is to add an oil catch can. No reason to be wasting so much oil out the vent tube.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”