• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

airboat pricing???

cowboy316

I am new here and would like to say very nice site,alot of helpful info....however I was wondering how you go about pricing or placing a value on an airboat? I cant find any guides as far as how much is too much for a boat or the value of a paticular boat. No kelly, NADA blue book values....just some guide lines would be helpful....Thanks

very old boat: cost arm
newer boat: cost arm and leg
brand new boat:cost arm , leg and testicle

you just have to do your research, it's always a crap shoot with an used airboat.

deepsea diver said:
very old boat: cost arm
newer boat: cost arm and leg
brand new boat:cost arm , leg and testicle

you just have to do your research, it's always a crap shoot with an used airboat.

Brand new Aircraft Airboat
cost arm, leg, both testicles and your first born...

There is no good set range. You can have 14' boat with a nice 0540 and SS rigging that goes for around 15 grand or you could have a 14' with beat up old caddy with conduit rigging for 5 grand maybe less.

Most boats are one offs and mostly custom. Plus there are some many different ways to build a boat. Does it have stainless still rigging? Is it powered coated? Is the motor in good shape? Was it built by some one who knew what they were doing? Does it have a wood prop or a carbon fiber prop? Is the prop in good shape? Is the hull in good shape? The list goes on.

If we knew what kind of boat you were looking to get into we could give you a better price range that could expect to pay and what is fair.

What are you going to use the boat for?
How many riders will you normally have?
Do you want a car motor or air craft?
Do you want to run the hill(run the boat across dry ground)

I will have two people in it most of the time I will be running alot of dry. the boat is an early 90's cotton mouth 13' not sure of the rigging it has a 220gpu on it and a grass rake over all the boat looks good hull is in good shape....I am a custom boat builder but the boats I build are in the 70'-100' range sport fish, so this kind of boat shoppoing is new to me and prices are sometimes all over the board just not sure of what a "good deal is" just tryin to do some home work thanks for the help. just tryin to figure out if an "arm" is a good deal for the boat ,or a potental a#!whoopin from the wife :lol:

Not knowing the price of the boat you mentioned... TEST RUN, and I don't mean fire it up on the trailer and say "yep it runs". GPU motors have good potential to great and great potential to be not so great. Leak down test also before buying it. If they don't let you do the leak down test, don't walk away, run.

R L Williams, I am located in Stuart, Fl.....I appreciate all the help. I havent been around airboats for about 16yrs. I have forgot alot of things

Do you know anyone familiar with the 220 engine, and being a boat builder fiberglass hull should be some what easy listen to engine , if you can do a leak down test on the cylinders and check the exhast grey pipe=good, black n oily=INVESTIGATE! all n all there is so many DEALS on airboats due to the economy its a buyers market there is alot of boats. Spend what YOU want to but, make sure you arent buying junk

come to one of the shows and you can see bunch differant looks, FAA SHow at East Lake Toho Oct 2 would be a good one.

cowboy316----I HAVE A REAL STRONG RUNNING GPU BOAT RUNS WHERE EVER I WANNA GO ILL SELL IT TO FINISH MY CAR MOTOR BOAT IF INTERESTED PM ME .....THE RIG AND MISC PARTS HAVE ONLY 23 HRS :D

Attachments

• lake florance 001.jpg
    lake florance 001.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 3,546
this boat is around 7 grand , it's in the classifieds it's a deckover 6 cylinder with a good prop and it's a probably a great deal out of most Take a look I would try this if i had the money !
IMG_3296.JPG

my advise is before you buy a used boat have it checked out!!!!! If you do not know how to do a leak down test pay to have one done on the motor. If the guy is honest and it is a good boat he will have no problem with this. If you buy a boat and the motor is tired you will be spending a bunch of cash to rebuild the motor. Shinny parts, and new paint are cool but they do not mean a thing if the boat is sitting in your drive way with a cylinder head off the motor. The trailer can also bite you in the butt, does it need 4 new tires, are the springs rusted out? Check the bottom of the boat!!!! Is the hull bent up or the polly wore out at the back? A polly job will cost you 1500-3000!!! Oldest trick in the book is to sell a boat because the polly is wore paper thin.

crowhater said:
my advise is before you buy a used boat have it checked out!!!!! If you do not know how to do a leak down test pay to have one done on the motor. If the guy is honest and it is a good boat he will have no problem with this. If you buy a boat and the motor is tired you will be spending a bunch of cash to rebuild the motor. Shinny parts, and new paint are cool but they do not mean a thing if the boat is sitting in your drive way with a cylinder head off the motor. The trailer can also bite you in the butt, does it need 4 new tires, are the springs rusted out? Check the bottom of the boat!!!! Is the hull bent up or the polly wore out at the back? A polly job will cost you 1500-3000!!! Oldest trick in the book is to sell a boat because the polly is wore paper thin.
AIN'T NO POLY JOBS AROUND HERE COSTING $3,000.OH WAIT I FORGOT YALL RUN THEM BARGES THAT TAKE 10 SHEETS OF POLY AND 200,000 SCREWS. :roll:

Tony480 said:
crowhater said:
AIN'T NO POLY JOBS AROUND HERE COSTING $3,000.OH WAIT I FORGOT YALL RUN THEM BARGES THAT TAKE 10 SHEETS OF POLY AND 200,000 SCREWS. :roll:
DAME TONY YA THINK CROWS ASS HURTS :lol:

the pricing problem I've seen is if some one has 20k invested in there rig , they think its worth 20k . watch the ads for awhile , get a feel for what boats sell for a $ amount per there class . see which boats seem to linger for a long time "there is a reason for that" . after you get a good feel for the market value you can start to look for the most boat for the money you have to spend . and yes , if you do not know what your looking at always get a friend to help

Back