• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Rudder length and location

12ftgso480

Trying to finish up a project boat. This hull had a small block direct drive. We have moved the rigging forward and raised the cage close to a foot to allow for bigger blade and added a gearbox. I just noticed that my rudders are now off center from my prop and need modified to bolt back on. The original rudders are 4' and I think I can build a pedestal for them. Does anyone know the importance of switching to a bigger prop on same boat without switching rudders ? The bottom of prop is really close to flush with the transom. If they are not quite perfectly centered up and down will it cause issues/porpoising ect ?

Attachments

• 20240327_220517.jpg
    20240327_220517.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240327_220514.jpg
    20240327_220514.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240327_220433.jpg
    20240327_220433.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 13
Trying to finish up a project boat. This hull had a small block direct drive. We have moved the rigging forward and raised the cage close to a foot to allow for bigger blade and added a gearbox. I just noticed that my rudders are now off center from my prop and need modified to bolt back on. The original rudders are 4' and I think I can build a pedestal for them. Does anyone know the importance of switching to a bigger prop on same boat without switching rudders ? The bottom of prop is really close to flush with the transom. If they are not quite perfectly centered up and down will it cause issues/porpoising ect ?
I personally like my rudders low, less lean more slide when turning.

Rework top, plumb center to boat "leveled" re tab top, build hoop and tabs for bottom, plumb bob is your friend here, 22" apart 11" from center each side, only want about 9" from prop give or take.
You may find later that those 48" rudders are not quite enough, may need to go 60", IMHO.

Back